1861 Blog



Mrs. Cornelius’s Molasses Apple Pie

Ingredients:

5 green apples, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup molasses

Line a pie pan with an uncooked pie crust. Fill with sliced apples, nutmeg, cinnamon, and molasses. Cover with a lattice crust and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.




In the winter of 1861, I got a serious illness, ceasing the Union's plans. My supporting wife Ellen and my three kids would come to comfort me during my illness. Ellen, a great cook, would make me feel better through her encouraging words and delicious apple pie. Although it was nearing the end of the apple harvesting season, she would always find fresh, juicy apples to cook into the pie from our expansive garden back in Philadelphia. My wife is the rock of my life, providing me with confidence in the fields of war. Ever since I first laid my eyes on her, I knew I had to get her. Ten marriage proposals later, I won her over from A.P. Hill.


Sources:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1865 Blog- Letter Home

1864 Blog